Sunday, May 13, 2012

A few things to do before you go on Vacation!

What are the first things that you think about when you decide to travel? Where to do, who to go with and what you need to do before hand. Well I've had all those questions before so here are a few tips to get you started, by all means these are not everything but these are the essentials.
#1. Dont forget to get you passports and visas if you plan to travel out of the United States. Plan on getting them 2 to 3 months in advance.
#2. Get your vaccinations. Check with your doctor on the specific ones you need.
#3. Put a stop or have a neighbor/friend collect your mail.
#4. Pay your bills in advance, depending on how long you are going out of town.
#5. Color copy all the important documents. (Passports/Visas) In case you lose them while traveling.
#6. Give Emergancy contact information, like location and how long you will be there, and phone numbers.
#7. Make sure you contact your credit card companies, and bank to let them know that you will be out of the country (if that is where you choose) so they don't cancel your cards.
#8. Communication: Gather a list of people you want to inform you are okay when you get there.
#9. Bring all apropriate chargers.
#10. Have someone check in on your house/apartment while you are gone especially if you have animals or plants that need caring for.

Again, this is just a short list of things you should need to get done while planning a trip. Otheriwise have fun and enjoy the planning, it's going to be an adventure.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

These are great tips for international travel. Have you traveled internationally much? I have only been to Canada myself. It would be interesting to see a followup list on the top ten things to do to prepare for a short, local trip!

Elisha Gallagher said...

Yes, I have been out of the country on 2 occassions, however I was only 18 months and 10 years old. So I dont really remember much. Although my sister and I are planning a trip to Cancun this year so It'll be another international one.

I dont really do local trips but I can try to make a follow up. If I'm going out of town, I want to be out of the state.

Unknown said...

This is a great (and helpful) post Elisha! You are definitely right on point for so many things that are necessary to do before traveling - you literally have to make a checklist and go over it multiple times before feeling confident to take off! When I went to Central America, I definitely had to get certain vaccinations, pick up a ton of medications (anti-Malaria pills, 3 months worth of my regular meds, etc.) and make multiple copies of my passport, drivers license, etc. to give to both of my parents as well as my friend I was traveling with. You can never be too over-prepared when it comes to these things, thats's for sure!

Unknown said...

traveling is the number one thing i am saving my money for these days. I recently went to Irleland with my family which was an amazing experience. I hope to travel the rest of Europe in the near future, but probably will bike down the west coast first.

Myra said...

Hey Elisha—you have everything in order for a great checklist! Not everyone considers VISAs and shots for travelling abroad. I have to consider foreign exchange when I travel. I learned that it does matter where you exchange your currency. Changing dollars to other forms of currency is better to do in the United States rather than a foreign airport or hotel. All kinds of fees will be imposed. I wear something comfortable and not a lot of things I need to take on and off at checkpoints. But my most important learning experience from airlines losing my luggage and sudden layovers is to pack about two days’ worth of clothes in a carry-on. For years now, all I travel with is a carry on unless I have gifts to bring or I intend to shop till I drop!

Kirstin TD said...

I myself, travel constantly. I never travel out of the US but definitely have the travel bug and love to be on the go. I do a lot of photography so I have a huge list of places I want to travel to outside of the US once I have saved up enough money. You're list is very thorough for someone doing extensive travel. I travel so frequently that I've gotten used to just throwing everything together in a bag perfunctory without really thinking about what I'm packing... however I never leave long enough to really worry about canceling mail, having someone check on my apt, etc.